Pleasant day to all my readers and followers. For my blog today i decided to let you all in on what i do as a mental health coach, What is a mental health coaching? Who would benefit from hiring a mental health coach? First, I am a mental health coach and my services are done online. What is mental health coaching? Mental health coaching is a niche of the coaching field that borders on therapy. A mental health coach is not a therapist and does not treat mental disorders. Good coaches can help their clients see the world in a new way, turn pessimism into optimism, and think with the glass-half-full attitude instead of the glass half-empty attitude.
What is Mental Health Coaching?
Mental health coaching is a cognitive and behavioral form of strengths-based support for adults living with mental health difficulties and disorders. Mental health coaching is action oriented with an emphasis on improving one’s present life and reaching goals for the future. Mental health coaching uses a partnership model wherein the client is an active participant in their own recovery plan, the one who decides what is worth doing, while the coach provides expertise in supporting successful change and accountability to help the client stay on track.
Who can Benefit From Hiring A Mental Health Coach?
Anyone can benefit from hiring a mental health coach as everyone has mental health. I know when people see mental health coaching they immediately associate it with someone that is mentally ill but this is not the case, at anytime in life issues, situations and events can happen which can affect your mental health and put you at risk for mental issues later on for example, depression, anxiety etc. Although, my business is designed for those who have mental disorders, not all mental health issues is a sign or mental illness. Everyone goes through difficult times in their lives and may need a boost, you don’t necessarily need to have a mental illness to benefit from mental health coaching sessions.
My Role as a Mental Health Coach
As a coach I help people learn how to live healthier lives, I help them discover their personal strengths, motivations and skills that will enable them to make lasting changes in their mindset and behaviors. I assist my clients in taking slow, steady steps that lead to meaningful changes in their lives. Please note that people with mental disorders or conditions need a trained therapist, there are many people who just need to alter the course of their thinking. They need someone to help them get a new view of the world and mental health coaches we help direct your feet, and leave your worries on the doorstep and help you see your world in different way. That is what a good mental health coach can do.
10 Steps to a Better Attitude
A coach specializing in mental health can help their clients find the sunny side of the street with these ten steps.
- Embrace happiness – happiness is choice not a condition. As a mental health coach I help clients recognize faults in their thinking and help them make choices that affect happiness.
- Gratitude works – How having gratitude can help you? A lot of research has indicated that living in a state of gratitude instead of feeling like the world owes you something is a much better road to success and happiness. There are so many things to be grateful for e.g. your family, friends, health and life. Life in itself is a gift treat it as such.
- Start your day with a positive thought – Think about something positive first thing in the morning, kiss your spouse or partner, hug your kids or play with your pet.
- Make positive plans for the day – Think about something you want to accomplish during the day. Or think of a goal you will like to reach or perhaps begin something that will produce positive results in the future.
- Seek out the positive – when you turn on the news it can be very pessimistic – recession, violence, but there are positive things happening everyday look for these stories they can be very inspiring. Read it or watch these stories and create a balance with negative stories.
- Seek out positive people – There is no doubt that there times it feels good to sit around, grumble and complain about life and the world with other people. The problem is that many people do this regularly not knowing that it can lead to depression and apathy. Instead seek out positive people who look for success and happiness and you will find that you mental health will certainly brighten.
- Act happy – Don’t be afraid to show others that you are happy. Say hello to strangers, ask a co-worker how their day is going. Did you know happiness is contagious?
- Be aware of the positive – Learning to look for the positive in the negative can change the way you look at things, the things you look at changes.
- Help others – Enjoying a life that is filled with giving not only benefits the person who receives, it is emotionally beneficial to the giver.
- Life is a journey – Mental health coaching is all about the journey. No one wants to get tp the end of the journey as a grumpy old man, or woman. Be positive, enjoy the ride and be happy.
Mental health coaching is all about turning a frown upside down and making clients feel happy again.
Any questions queries or concerns with regard to mental illness please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email.